Monday, July 18, 2011

The Spicer Massacre: a short history

The story of the Spicer Massacre is one of great interest to the descendents of the Greene County's original  settlers.  It has all the classic tales of Native Americans raiding and Colonists surviving the best they could in the wilderness of southwestern Pennsylvania.
 
Prelude

             Chief Logan of the Mingo was on good terms with the English Speaking Colonist west of the Alleghenies. Logan and his hunting party were camped on the west bank of the Ohio at Yellow Creek, (near present day Steubenville, Ohio) and across the river from Baker’s Bottom. On April 30 some members of the hunting party, Chief Logan’s wife Mellana, his brother  Taylaynee (called John Petty by many English speakers), Taylaynee's son, Molnah and Logan's sister, Koonay, who was also the pregnant wife of John Gibson a prominent trader with whom she already had one daughter. The party under Taylaynee behest crossed the river to visit the cabin of Joshua Baker, a settler and rum trader. The visiting Mingo were lured by the promise of whiskey and games. Once the group was in Baker's cabin, 30 frontiersmen, led by Daniel and Jacob Greathouse, crowded in and killed all except the infant child. The bodies of the Mingo victims were mutilated. Jacob Greathouse himself slaughtered Koonay and dissected her belly, removed her unborn son and scalped him.
            When Logan heard of the massacre, he was led to believe that Capt. Michael Cresap was responsible for attack. However, many people familiar with the incident (including George Rogers Clark) knew that the Greathouse brothers and their men were the ones who had killed the party. Settlers along the frontiers realized that these killings were likely to provoke the remaining Native nations of the Ohio and Monongahela River regions to attack. Settlers remaining on the frontier immediately sought safety, either in blockhouses or by fleeing eastward across the Monongahela River. Many traveled back across the Allegheny Mountains. Their fear was well founded. Logan and small parties of Shawnee and Mingo soon began striking frontier settlers in revenge for the murders at Yellow Creek. One such attack was on a small farm in modern Greene County, Pennsylvania.

The Attack     

            It was a hot and humid summer day on June 5, 1774, when William Spicer was chopping wood outside his cabin near a stream that flowed into the Big Whitely Creek, a mile south of Willow Tree in Greene Township. His 12 year old daughter, Elizabeth, also known as “Betsy” was ironing clothes while her mother, Lydia and siblings, including 9 year old  William Jr.,  were caring to the duties inside the Spicer cabin. 16 year old Job was out in the cornfield building squirrel traps to keep varmints from devouring their precious food source.  Spicer had heard of the Mingo Chief, Logan, being on the warpath and was planning on fleeing to the local Fort the next day after they secured clothing and supplies. Their delay in travel was a fateful error.
            Spicer heard the Mingo tribesmen approaching and struck his ax in a log and approached  the house  to  get  some  food to offer   to his visitors. Suddenly a harrowing howl was followed by William Spicer being struck by his own ax in the head by one of the warriors who then took his scalp. They fell upon the Spicers, slaying  William’s wife and two of the children that were  inside the house. Betsy still holding her iron grabbed William’s hand with her free hand and fled through the backdoor of the cabin into the forest. In her terror, Betsy only remembers to let loose of the flattening iron once they were deep into the forest. Spicer’s daughter and son fought through the deep woods until they reached a neighboring farmhouse. In their desperation, Betsy and William frantically hollered for help to the    farmers   to    no avail. It was the noise from their frightened pleas that alerted the Mingo warriors to their whereabouts.
            Once caught, Chief Logan took the young Spicer children back to the cabin, where it was discover that the youngest Spicer child was still alive. A tribesman named Snake took hold of the crying infant’s feet and bashed its head against the side of the cabin. Betsy and William were horrified, and Betsy notes that it was an image forever frozen in her memory.  As they left the cabin, the Mingo tribesmen found Job still a field and killed him then took his scalp. During their escape, a company of horses came fluttering down the road seeking information on the commotion near the Spicer cabin. While  hiding  in  a  hollow  overnight,  the  surviving  Spicer children  were  threatened that if they cried for help Chief Logan would kill them as well. Chief Logan then divided his plunder, hiding the excess in the surrounding woodlands and made for the Ohio River.

Life Among the Mingo and After

            While fleeing, the Mingo took good care of Betsy and William, even carrying them when they got tired or at night sleeping with the children in between two warriors to keep them warm.  Once they passed into Ohio through Wheeling, the Spicer children were welcomed into the tribe and treated well. One incident that helped to support this treatment was when Betsy beheld one of the Mingo women wearing her mother’s clothing. When Betsy saw the woman in her mother’s dress she assaulted her violently, tearing the clothes off the Mingo woman’s back. The Mingo people laughed at the sight of the young girl attacking a grown woman and held the event as a great act of heroism.
            During Betsy’s captivity, she learned a great deal about the use and location of herbs and wildflowers in healing the sick. She also picked up the habit of smoking a pipe, a habit that her descendants recall fondly. When Betsy was very old, her granddaughter, Ruth Steele was responsible for filling “a pipe for her and place a coal from the wood fire on it so Grandma could have another smoke.” However, her captivity was short lived. As part of a treaty of the Lord Dunmore War between the Colony of Virginia and Shawnee and Mingo nations, she was returned as a prisoner of war at Muddy Creek on Christmas Day 1774 to Colonel George Wilson.
            William Spicer remained among the Mingo with whom he had a great respect because of his athleticism. He was often the winner of foot races, wrestling matches, shooting contests and “running the gauntlet”, a practice among the natives where a man will run through two lines of other men with clubs or firebrands. When William was about 20, he was called back to Greene County to deal with part of his father’s estate. The Mingo fearing he would leave them, begged for him not to go. William had given his word he would return. After dealing with his father’s estate, he did return to the Mingo and married a woman of the tribe. He became a leader within the Mingo and helped to establish a Mingo Settlement with farms.
            While alive, Betsy visited William and the Mingo often and was treated as tribal royalty. Unfortunately out of jealousy, William was assassinated by a tribe member who poisoned him. Elizabeth Spicer Bowen died in 1845 and is buried in Davistown in Dunkard Township, Greene County, PA.

48 comments:

  1. Possible connection between this story and this story, :
    http://www.wvgenweb.org/marshall/eric-crowfam.htm
    (Start at the line: "We now come to the well known story of the massacre of the three Crow girls")
    The two stories happened with in the vicinity of each other (this one in 1774 and the other in 1791 (17 years later)) is it possible that William Jr. (or a relative) Could be the Spicer mentioned in this story, No one seems to know the "Spicer"'s first name, though I admit at this point my research leaves something to be desired. Also I can't seem to find any record of William Jr's Children, though being that they were born into an Indian tribe this is not necessarily surprising. Please follow up with me on this at :themorganza@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently the THE CHARLEROI MAIL Friday, June 9, 1950
    Made a similar connection
    http://www.pa-roots.org/data/read.php?411,309032

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few details seem to be off in the 1950 article but this not surprising because the 1950 report was written before the web and the author may not have had access to the more accurate account in the "WVgenWeb.org" link

    ReplyDelete
  5. William was the "White Renegade" man involved with the massacre of the Crow sisters. I am a direct descendant and one of Williams great great great great great granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are related the spicer are in my family nona spicer is or was my great great grandmother please e mail me at ptknight@live.com

      Delete
  6. William was the "White Renegade" man involved with the massacre of the Crow sisters. I am a direct descendant and one of Williams great great great great great granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled on this while doing some research to find out about Spicer Cochran and William Vestus Cochran. I would love for someone to contact me as I'm trying to trace this heritage as everyone older than me is now gone...From what I see William Spicer Cochran was my great grandfathers dad. my email is: patison@ncidata.com if anyone would like to get in contact with me...thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please e mail at ptknight@live com nona spicer was my great great grabdmother

      Delete
  8. I'm wondering about the location of her grave. I just visited my father's grave at Good Hope Cemetary near Jane Lew, WV, and saw a marker for Elizabeth Spicer Bowen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I too am a Spicer/Bowen descendant and I came across your post here while I was reading about the Spicer Massacre. This story states that her grave is in Davistown. However, according to Find A Grave, Elizabeth is buried at the Good Hope Cemetery, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/165943478/elisabeth-bowen . Wondering if you have received any further information on her grave site meanwhile? Thank you!

      Delete
    2. The Virginia/West Virginia state lines at the time were not static as they are in modern times. Ancestors at that time could be listed in Virginia or Pennsylvania.

      Delete
    3. My name is Joshua Bowen I am a descendant from the Bowen spicers I have a family book that tells part of the story of the Spicer Massacre I never knew what had led up to the massacre if there's any other information that you could possibly tell me about the spicers I would appreciate it thank you

      Delete
    4. Hi Joshua, Nice meeting you. I'm a Spicer/Bowen descendant through my mother's paternal line. I visited the Greene County Historical Society this summer to see the iron and the painting pictured above. I would love to read the family book you mentioned, could you please tell me the title? I too am interested in hearing more about the Spicers, if anyone would like to get in touch with me please leave a reply! Thank you!

      Delete
    5. I think iam a Spicer descendant threw nona Spicer on my mother side born in west Virginia please contact me with furthet info at ptknight@live.com

      Delete
    6. Just discovered I am a direct descendant of Betsy, she was my 6th great grandmother on my mothers side

      Delete
    7. Hi Heather nice to meet you! Betsy is my 4th Gr-grandmother on my mother's side.

      Delete
    8. I am a direct descendant of Elizabeth Spicer Bowen. Possibly 5th or 6th generation. My maiden name is Rebecca Jo Bowen. Joshua, I had the family history book you mentioned but lost it in a fire. I wonder if you know of a way to obtain a copy. I was very excite to find this history along with the info about the tribe. I'd be happy to hear from Joshua and heather if possible.

      Delete
    9. Hi Rebecca Jo, nice to meet you! I'm Candace (username Omiakron). Elizabeth Spicer (Betsy) is my 4th GrGrandmother. I too would love to obtain a copy of the family book! Are there any Bowen relatives here who might have a copy? Please contact me, omiakron@gmail.com . Thank you kindly!

      Delete
  9. What's your mother's name if you don't mind I can look and see if it's in the book other than that I haven't made any copies yet but soon as I do I can email them to you or if you want to get ahold of me here's my email address joxbowen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's your mother's name if you don't mind I can look and see if it's in the book other than that I haven't made any copies yet but soon as I do I can email them to you or if you want to get ahold of me here's my email address joxbowen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you send me your contact info I will email you what i have on the lineage between the Bowen Spicer's written in my family book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joshua, I sent my contact info to you per Gmail.

      Delete
    2. My fifth great grandmother on my father's side was Elizabeth Spicer Bowen

      Delete
    3. Elizabeth is my 4th GrGrandmother on my mother's side. Nice to meet you cousin! Contact me at omiakron@gmail.com

      Delete
  12. My mother was a Spicer, and I am only now learning the long history of her family. Wayne Spicer from Olean, NY was her father. I am interested in any family history available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the original spicer lineage and history compiled from 1755 to current day. Reply for me details

      Delete
    2. My great great grandmother was nona spicer please e mail me at ptknight@live.com

      Delete
  13. Well, how many more skeletons are in the Spicer's Family Linage? I always sought to know more about the Spicer's lineage. I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, my name is Alfrieda Spicer. I am Afro-American, my father's name is Mr. Buford Mason Spicer. He departed this world in 2005 in Milwaukee, WI

    Thanks,
    Milwaukee, WI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Spicer lineage is still fairly concentrated in the greene county area. I'm part of that lineage and have much info about it. It did disperse during the great depression, so its possible you could be related but not likely

      Delete
  14. Betsy Spicer is my 8th great grandmother. We still live, and raise cattle not 2 miles from where the spicer cabin stood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Betsy is my 4th GrGrandmother. Nice to meet you! My brother and I visited the Greene County Hist. Society in July and saw the painting and the iron. We had quite the adventure locating the Spicer Cemetery, it's completely overgrown sadly :(. I would love stay in contact and learn more about the Spicers, my email is omiakron@gmail.com Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Hi. I'm William's 7 great granddaughter. If you would kindly give me the location of where the cabin stood and any grave locations of the Spicer family I would be greatful.

      Delete
  15. Hello, I am searching for my 4th great grandfather. Michael Bowen is my third G.G. Thomas in this story comes up as a true line for me when I added him as my 4th GG grandfather, but there is no Michael listed a child of theirs. I would love to know if you have any information further back on the Bowen line. My grandfather Michael father Michael Bowen came form PA. I have not been able to locate the first wife of my 3rd G.G. This is such a great piece of information. I would love to see any books or copies of information if you would like to share. Sincerely, Cheryl Bowen-Hance. My e-maIL IS CHERYL.HANCE@GMAIL.COM.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello. Elizabeth is my 4th Great. I just received information about the Spicer Massacre in 1773. My cousin said to google and that is how I came upon this conversation. my email is lantztina55@gmail.com Any further information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am looking for information about John Spicer (born 1814, died 1882) from whom I am descended. He is supposed to be son of William Spicer who was captured by the Seneca Indians, and Fair Cloud the Seneca woman William married. If anyone has any further information, please email me at azapcic@yahoo.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My grandfather's name was Homer Spicer. He was born in Georgia in 1905. Curious to know whether he could be related to any of these "Spicers."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my email address is acmtmail@yahoo.com. Any info about my grandfather's family would be appreciated.

      Delete
  19. https://www.amrevmuseum.org/collection/george-wilson-s-sword

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, is George Wilson related to the Spicers? And if so, could you share his lineage? Interesting! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The young girl Betsy from this story is ny great great great great great Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would of been my 6th great grandmother

      Delete
    2. She is my fifth great grandmother. I hope to travel to Green County by the end of May 2022, to do some investigating, do I have any cousins up for the trip. I live in DC Metro area, My name is Debby Fair pleases feel free to call 760-238-3343 if your interested.

      Delete
    3. I wish I knew your name. I know for sure we are related. Rebecca Jo Bowen(Becki)

      Delete
  22. Does anyone know if there were any African Americans in this Spicer's Lineage, from Nashville or Virginia?

    ReplyDelete